Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Coincidence Of Callie And Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Rating: 3.25*
The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)



I liked it.
Not a four star however, for the following reasons:

1) It didn't blow me away.

2) The quality of the writing was okay but not notable. Standard.

3) The concept was nothing exceptional to about 20 other books I've read this year. Neither was the sub plot.

4) I don't get that feeling I'd ever want to read it again.

5) It didn't make me cry or get emotional. Not like books with touching issues such as this one usually do. I blame myself. Maybe I've just overindulged on these sort of books.

I did like the characters though, but I feel like the secondary characters were more rounded than the primary characters. Luke had a dry sense of humour and made me laugh, and Seth was a brilliant friend with such a distinct personality, and reminded me of my gay guy friend from high school. 

I like the tactic that the author used which was to finish the book without conclusion, to draw readers into wanting to read the second book, though I'm undecided if I'm going to read book 2 yet. Since a quarter of the way into the book, I was waiting for it to kick in and make it amazing, but it just didn't happen. I also had high expectations (5* worthy-The Sea of Tranquility-high) because of the pretty good average rating and because nearly all of my Goodreads friends who've read it, all gave it a five star.


Now I'm sorry here, but before I leave, I have to say it: I think it's overrated. Good, but overrated.


The extra .25 added onto my rating is for the beautiful cover which I really love.

No comments: