Friday 21 December 2012

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Why doesn't everyone rate this with a five sparkly stars?! It's a holy hot feast of Gothic Victorian literature all compounded into this one haunting novel. One of my favourite ever books! 

I love how Emily Bronte wrote the characters to be so flawed with selfishness and were manipulative (Cathy in particular) and were overwhelmed and motivated by jealousy or envy (Cathy, Heathcliff, Hindley, Linton, Isabella & even Nelly!) yet I still managed to be rooting for Cathy and Heathcliff at the same time. I know not all people are like this, in fact the main reason some people dislike this book is because they think all the characters are horrid and lack likable qualities however that is the reason I love it so much. For me, its refreshing and a lot more interesting to read about characters who share realistic human personality traits and unusual behavioural patterns. Oh, and I forgot to mention, Heathcliff has to be one of my all time favourite fictional males; I adore Heathcliff! wow.




Hugely recommend for a 5* read. The only thing I didn't enjoy was Nelly's continued account of the story post Catherine's death, which grew a little more slow paced and tedious at times however that could just by my biased view caused by the short absence of Heathcliff. Still a somehow beautiful and haunting tale.

Wuthering Heights song. Awesome. Kate Bush is British music royalty!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKK...




~Alisha

No comments: